A chainsaw makes cleaning and trimming dense bushes or taking down trees an easy feat. It is also usable for your DIY projects and makes things a lot easier and faster. Many homeowners welcome the idea of having a chainsaw at home, especially those who have a garden and backyard to maintain.
What kind of chainsaws is the best?
There are many brands of chainsaws available in the market today, but there are some brands that are well known for their high performance and durability. Although some may cost more than other brands, they make up for the additional features. Some brands of chainsaws that are popular includes
Craftsman, a leading brand of gas and electric chainsaws.
Echo is anotherleading brand of gas-engine chainsaws with different bar lengths in their models.
Husqvarna chainsaws is another popular brand in gas-engine chainsaws. They also have a different bar length that can be anywhere between 14 inches to 20 inches.
Stihl makes chainsaws that are gas and electric based. They have a variety of bar lengths as well that inches from 12 to 20 inches.
Another one on the list is Homelite. They manufacture gas and electric chainsaws that range from 14 inches to 18 inches.
Safety, what do you have to look out for when buying?
Chainsaws have safety features, this is what you should look out for when you go buying the machine. The more safety features there are, the better the chainsaw.
Check for the following safety features:
- Reduced Kickback Chain
- Chain Brake
- Chain Catcher
- Automatic Chain Oiler
- Bucking Spikes
- Case Or Storage
- Trigger Lockout
- Tool-Free Chain Adjuster
Do I have to wear protective clothing?
Dress smart when you are using your chainsaw. You should wear clothing that fits and not clothes that sway in the wind. You should also wear sturdy work boots, or those that have a steel toe are more preferred, make sure you have coverings for your legs and wear protective gloves at all times. You may use a trouser that is specifically used while using a chainsaw since the conventional fabric will not do so much to protect you from the chainsaw.
Another highly important protection is your helmet and face shield. These two will protect your face and your head all the time you are using the chainsaw.
Hearing protection is important also, so if the chainsaw produces too much noise, your hearing is always shielded.
They require jackets in some countries, most especially as it can slow down the rate of cutting and clog the chainsaw mechanism.
Are the chainsaws loud?
The chainsaw has a noise level between 106 to 115 decibels. Any sound that is beyond 85 decibels is already considered harmful to your hearing. Therefore, it is required for anyone who will use the chainsaw to wear hearing protection, so it will reduce the loudness of the sound that you will hear.
If you need to use the chainsaw for a longer period, it ensures that your hearing is protected.
Can everyone work with the chainsaws?
Although there are newer models of chainsaws in the market that have safety protection features, it is not a reason for just anyone to use a chainsaw.
A chainsaw is a dangerous machine that can cause major injuries, and some are just fatal if it is used incorrectly. One who will use a chainsaw must at least have training or background in its operation. Any owner of a chainsaw must also have the proper training and should have read the manual before operation.
Here are some safety reminders before using a chainsaw:
- Read the owner’s manual
- Use a chainsaw that you have a background of and to which you have been exposed previously.
- Understand the instructions before opening the chainsaw.
- Use a chainsaw in a well-ventilated area and should have adequate space.
- Always wear your PPE and correct clothing.
- Ask questions when in doubt.
- Operate saws when you are feeling well, not fatigue or hungry.
- Look at your surroundings first.
- Do not use a saw that has loose parts or even damaged.
- Do not make adjustments to the chainsaw while it is running, do the adjusting and checking of all the parts that require examining before any operation.
What should be considered when pruning trees?
Although the chainsaw can do the task fast and efficiently, some tree pruning may require a tall ladder and may not be the best idea when you are handling the chainsaw.
If the part that you need to prune is at arm’s length, then this should be fine, otherwise, use other means of pruning the trees.
When you need to remove a portion of the tree that is too large, then you need the proper equipment e.g. ladder, bucket lift, so you can reach the part that needs cutting, plus you can use the chainsaw to do so.
There are light pruning that is not dangerous and is just at the bottom of the tree where some branches just go haywire, this can be taken care of with the use of a chainsaw.
What maintenance or inspections are there on the chainsaws?
As with any other machines, you need to maintain your chainsaw and make sure that it is fully functional with no screw out of place. Here are some important tips on chainsaw maintenance and inspections.
- Sharpen the blades of your chainsaw from time to time. It should be done regularly, especially if you are using it often. Pay attention to your chainsaw and how it is working, you will notice if it is taking time to cut a really thin branch, and you just know that it needs some sharpening. Do not use your chainsaw when it is dull, not only is it dangerous, but will take up most of your time, and of course, it can also weaken the machine eventually.
- Do not at any point submerged your chainsaw in water for cleaning. This is the fastest way to ruin your chainsaw.
- Keeping your chainsaw lubricated is important, so it will be efficient every time. Although there are alternative models that have self-lubricating features, there are other chainsaws that require manual lubrication of the machine. Check the manual as the lubrication may vary according to the chainsaw you own.
- If you are using a gasoline chainsaw, you must empty the fuel tank before you store it. It requires you to clean the body and the blade so that when the time comes that you need to use it, it will still work efficiently. This also applies to electric chainsaws.
- Check the air filter of your chainsaw. Sometimes it is riddled with dust and dirt and can get inside the combustion chamber that can wear out your chainsaw fast.
- Dismantle chainsaws when you need to spray it with protective oil.
- Store your chainsaw in a dry place, and never should it get submerged in water. Do not leave it outdoors to rust or be exposed to the outside elements.
- It is essential to free it from dust or other debris after you are done using it cause this debris and dust can get stuck inside the machine and may cause it to malfunction, eventually.
- Keep it away from children or other people that have no business touching the equipment. It should be hidden away from other people, such as the room with a lock or a cupboard or any cabinet that are not exposed to other people in the house.
Which materials can be cut with a chainsaw and which cannot?
Some chainsaws today can cut through metal, but those types that are not thick and chainsaws that can do this feat have a carbide-tipped chain and have a metallic reinforcement.
But most of the chainsaws should not be used to cut through metal.
Here are materials that a chainsaw can cut.
You can use a chainsaw on almost every wood as it can cut the wood precisely and swiftly. It may just vary on the thickness of the wood and will depend on the capacity of the chainsaw.
Some chainsaw can cut through concrete and considered the heavy-duty type.
It can cut through the plastic. Though, there are plastics that can appear torn or shredded if cut with a chainsaw. These plastics are the thinner types and may require other forms of cutting machines.
It can cut through thick cardboard.
Do not use your chainsaw to cut into dirt. It is the fastest way to dull the blade. Plus, the dirt and rocks can easily fly off and hit you anywhere. The debris can also get inside the machine that may cause it not to function after some time.
Below are the samples of electric and gasoline-powered chainsaws and each of their features.
Remington RM1645 Electric Chainsaw
With the powerful Remington RM1645, you can easily trim the shrubs and trees fast. It will not be a stressful activity now with the help of this electric chainsaw. It is lightweight with a 16-inch chainsaw and 12 amp electric motor that produces a low sound while in use.
Its external chain adjustment and an automatic lubrication feature with just a push of a button will mean lesser maintenance for this device.
Gripping this chainsaw is also a non-issue since it has a soft-touch, rear grip for comfort, plus the machine produces low vibration, which is another advantage.
With reliability, as the Remington Power Tools’ backup, it ensures you of the durability of this device.
- An automatic oiling system that makes lubricating this chainsaw a breeze. You need not loosen the screw or remove any oil container to lubricate the device.
- Transparent oil window that helps you see the level and check it from time to time.
- Lightweight and compact that can be used by beginners.
- Using it is easy, plus there is minimal maintenance required.
- Low noise that will not disturb neighbors while you do the trimming.
- With a 2-year warranty to help you feel at ease during the first few years of use.
- There are reports of oil leaks while in use, and may not be something that will draw buyers.
- Does not support heavy-duty cutting or trimming, so for those who require having a device to do such a task, this is not for you.
- Since this device is corded, it may not be convenient for some users to have the cord hanging behind them while they are busy working.
GreenWorks 20222 Electric Chainsaw
If you are after light pruning, trimming, and clearing up bushes, this is the best chainsaw for you. It has performance and less weight. Its high performance yet easy to control feature gives it the edge over other chainsaws.
Produces less noise, but can do the work with much ease. Adjusting the machine requires no extraordinary tool where you need to invest further, but since it has a tool-less chain tensioning, this is less of your worry.
There is a rubberized grip that helps in decreasing the vibration while you are using it. It is up to the user if they want to use gloves, but again, for their safety, they should.
This machine is also easy to maintain with just double-checking the oil level every time you use it, so you’ll have uninterrupted work every time.
You will also have no worries about the safety of the machine since all the safety features are all in place.
- One of the easiest electrical chainsaw machines out there. With its plug and use feature, you will not get disconcerted during first use.
- Highly affordable as compared to other chainsaws on the market.
- With an auto-oiling system that will be a welcome feature for a novice or experienced users.
- Compact and lightweight that makes using it convenient and effortless.
- The addition of the auto tool-less chain tension feature is an advantage.
- May not be for homeowners who want a chainsaw that is packed with power to be used in demanding tasks.
- Although it is affordable, it is not an all-around tool and has its limitations.
- Handles are not as soft as expected compared to other chainsaw machines.
- Some users may not like the short handlebar and may look elsewhere.
- The oil gets used up quickly, and this may need to eat through a lot of oil if you need to use it more often.
Makita UC4051A Electric Chain Saw 16″
Makita manufactures different machines and tools that help homeowners for a few decades now. They always deliver powerful types of machinery that are not just efficient but also affordable. This machine is another chainsaw model that is both reliable and trustworthy.
It has a powerful 1.6 kW motor that delivers 2900 RPM, which is more than enough to cut through bushes, trees, and branches. It is also usable by professionals or even those who are just starting with the use of the chainsaw.
There is also no need to worry every time you use it cause it will not leave you hanging in the middle of any project just because it just cannot perform.
For some larger tree branches, it may not work perfectly, but for less of the size, we don’t see any obstacle ahead.
With durability, this one is also tough, as their high standard requires. With the sturdy chassis, rubberized handgrips, and tool-less adjustments, this Makita chainsaw model is one to check out.
- Includes an anti-burnout feature that will control the amount of current being used by the chainsaw.
- Sturdy and durable with the required power to satisfy chainsaw users.
- The build quality is as expected, and the performance is at par with top chainsaw machines in the market.
- Easy to maintain and does not require too much check-up every time you use it or after using it.
- Struggle free, start-up system that will not require you to have a hard time igniting the mechanism.
- Although this packs some power of its own, there is not enough to cut larger trees, and may not be what professional cutters would seek out to buy.
- Considered expensive as compared to other chainsaw models, but perhaps it is leaning on its name that gives importance to durability and will surely be worth your money.
Zombi Chain Saw (ZCS12017)
Buying the right tool is the most important thing for homeowners. They don’t want to worry about buying incorrect machinery, or device that they will just place on their tool shed just because they can’t get the right use out of it.
But the thing is, most homeowners are confused about what to buy and what to look for.
Another on the list of great and affordable chainsaw that homeowners may like to take time reading about. This one is powerful, lightweight, and priced affordably, that it will not leave a dent in your pocket.
It has a 13 amp motor that is good and able to tackle a thicker set of branches. Safety is also something that is given a lot of thought here that makes this piece of equipment safe to use for beginners. But of course, even if you are an experienced chainsaw user, there is no harm in reading the user manual.
They design this equipment to be used comfortably with its weight that will help you cut out bushes, shrubs, trees, and branches with ease.
The handgrips are also coated with rubber, so the vibration is felt slightly. The chain tensioning knob is also easy to maneuver.
We consider this chainsaw effortless to use, and even novice users will get the hang out of it in just a few uses.
- Key features are user friendly, plus it is easy to handle.
- Powerful motor that will not just stop in the middle of trimming and cutting.
- Beautifully designed with an artistic taste.
- The handle is well shaped and fits the hand comfortably.
- The safety button makes this chainsaw something that you would like to own since you need not worry about safety while using it.
- With an understandable and well-defined instruction manual to help every new owner.
- Long enough cord to make each woodworking fast and easy.
- The chainsaw may not be suitable for small frames since it may be heavy for them.
- Considered larger caps were used and sometimes get in the way while in operation.
Gasoline Powered Chainsaw
Husqvarna 450 X-Torq
This piece of equipment has a 450 X-Torq with a 3.2 HP motor and 9K RPM, one that is considered high quality for a chainsaw model.
It has an air injection system that used outward force so that large debris will not block the chainsaw mechanism, while the X-Torq feature helps in decreasing the air pollution level.
With an easy and effortless startup that will not require minutes of starting the engine. It also has a choke and stops control that will not allow the engine from getting flooded with gasoline.
Only at 10 pounds, many homeowners will not get too tired by using this equipment, also it does not require too much maintenance. It has an air filter that has a quick-release mechanism that helps in easy cleaning.
The handle uses a smooth surface that can prevent the machine from slipping from your grip while in use.
There is a bit of vibration that is still felt, but with the help of thicker gloves, it can almost be non-existent.
Pricing is just right for the durability and high quality that this machine has.
- A versatile chainsaw model that has high-power output.
- Professionals or novices alike can use it, with its high capacity of getting large or small chunks of woodcuts in seconds. It operates smoothly, leaving you with clear and clean-cut work every time.
- Lightweight at only 10 pounds, which makes this machine effortless to carry, making your work a lot easier.
- The company made sure of the high quality of production while taking care of the design.
- Safety features make this machine convenient to use.
- High performance every time because of its excellent power quality.
- The chain may appear softer than other metals of the same price-level.
- Oil flow may not very well lubricate the chain.
- Oil tends to leak.
- It does not seem to start as quickly as advertised.
There is no need to fuss nowadays with maintaining your trees, bushes, and shrubbery because there is the Tanaka 12 inch chainsaw that will make your activity easier.
This one is affordable at the same time, it is durable, and you can now make gardening something to look forward to.
Its engine is a bit smaller compared to its other chainsaw brands, but we can liken the power it brings to other chainsaws found in the market. The bar is shorter than longer, but it can still do the job efficiently, plus it helps to make the user grip the machine effortlessly.
You will not stress about carrying it since it is lightweight as compared to other chainsaws.
The engine of this machine boasts of Purefire green technology engine, which is a commercial-grade engine that has low emissions, which makes it environment-friendly.
Compact size yet durable, that will effectively cut trees as required.
With a top handle that has a cushy elastomer grip to lessen vibration so the user will not have tension and fatigue, even if the machine is used for a longer period.
- Compact design which makes using it effortlessly and carrying it simple, if you need to bring the equipment anywhere in your garden.
- Efficient fuel control will help to control gas usage, which is also a big help to save even if it is used often.
- The machine is comfortable to handle because of its size and weight, and it gives even the most novice users some power they require when cutting and trimming trees and plants.
- Powerful performance that can help in cutting slightly thicker branches of trees as compared to some chainsaws with the same size.
- Effortless to maintain since it has an automatic oiler.
- The warranty inclusion of 7 years makes this purchase worth your money.
- Some users may smell a slight plastic smell that emanates while the chainsaw is in use.
- Loosening of chain bar bolt, at times, which requires frequent tightening.
- The short bar may take you longer to finish the task as compared to a longer bar.
Husqvarna 460 Rancher
Another Husqvarna product that is well-designed and lives up to the name of the trusted brand.
The company has smoothly incorporated fuel efficiency here in this product. It also has an XTorq, 2.7kW, which is 3.62HP coupled with the right RPM, and you got a great chainsaw.
There is an air injection system that removes large debris and particles by using centrifugal force that helps in cleaning the filters and adding engine life.
Durability is the focal point here, with all the safety features in place, this product will not disappoint.
With other chainsaws, the vibration is one thing that turns off users and would-be buyers, but with this product, vibration is almost non-existent, especially when you wear thick gloves while you work with it.
The machine weighs 13 pounds and can be easily maneuvered by professional users.
- Chainsaw used gives this machine the tension reliability that is required with every chainsaw machine. The tightly mounted tensioner is also easily accessible.
- The air filter is easy to access and makes filter cleaning a non-issue. You can change the air filter in a few seconds.
- The durability and toughness are here and with other Husqvarna, so users will not be disappointed every time they need to handle tough garden maintenance tasks.
- It has a long chain bar to make reaching enjoyable. Reaching higher branches will also not get users at a loss on what to do once there are higher branches that need trimming.
- Designed ergonomically to make every cutting tree a breeze to do.
- Some powerful engine that can handle some hard task of cutting thicker types of branches. For professionals who are learned and would like a machine that will do the job well, this is one of your choices.
- The tendency to stall while being used.
- The installation guide may be a little confusing to some purchasers.
- Oil may sometimes overflow and may need frequent checking up so the oil will not be wasted.
Craftsman Full Crank 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw
When you want a dependable brand of power tool, you can go for Craftsman. They have the best brands out there and will offer you the best value for your money in exchange for outstanding features.
This is another of their chainsaw model that will give you a 42cc, 2-cycle engine that is just powerful and effortless to use. It also has a 16 inches low kickback bar and chain that can tackle different sizes of wood. The easy start-up technology is also one other thing to boast about this product. You need not wait for a few minutes to have this beauty whirring and ready to go cause you can have it ready in seconds.
The 3 point anti-vibration system will help you work with ease, and you will not feel any inconvenience at all since the handle has a cushion to help you handle the machine with ease.
The easy maneuverability of this chainsaw is another thing to look forward to, cause you won’t feel fatigued after using it.
Tool-less access to the spark plug is also one of its many features, not to mention that it has an air filter that is also replaceable and easy to maintain.
Just to include that there is a 2-year warranty on this chainsaw, that when you encounter any issues within that time frame you still have a warranty to back it up.
- Easy start technology to get it ready in seconds.
- A low kickback chain and 16 inch bar for higher reliability and performance.
- The chain brake is an inertia activated that can stop the machine with no effort.
- Lightweight but highly durable poly chassis that does not sacrifice power. Crafted with high quality and a performance that will not leave users disappointed.
- With an easy to view oil container, hence making the proper refill of lubricant easy and users will always have a well-lubricated machine.
- Instances that the easy start-up falters and takes a few minutes before the chainsaw gets primed.
- Oil tends to leak and can be an inconvenience to clean after.
I hope I was able to give you a good overview of the best chainsaws currently on the market with this comparison. I only tested the best and leading brands in my test. Of course, there are also cheaper chainsaws, but these usually also have many disadvantages, such as the durability or the quality of the built-in parts.
With the chainsaws I have tested you will have a lot of fun for a long time and you can do most of the work in the backyard without any problems.
If you have had special experiences with a certain model or can recommend a different chainsaw, please write it in the comments. The other readers are very happy about the feedback!